Tuesday

Topiary Balls, Kissing Balls or Pomander Balls

I'm going to try to keep up by posting only once or twice a week. Thank you for your participation and sweet comments.
Kissing Balls, Topiary Balls or Pomander Balls, no matter what you call them they certainly are  a pretty way to decorate. I recently made some for an order and put a set in my shop. It started me thinking where did the kissing ball originate so I did a bit of research-


During the middle ages, people would wind together twine and evergreen branches into the shape of a ball. They would place a clay figurine representing Jesus in the center of the ball and they called them "holy boughs". They hung the boughs from the ceiling in castles to give blessings and good luck to all who passed under the bough .They stopped using the decoration in the Puritan era (17th-19th century) but they found resurgence in the Victorian era when Queen Victoria reigned. They were made of potato or apple and wrapped with a pretty ribbon. Sprigs of evergreen, holly and herbs were added into the potato or apple. This resulted in calling them "sweet ball’s .They looked pretty and smelled great too. The sweet balls were romanticized symbols of love, affection, charity, piety. Soon they were adorned with fragrant flowers symbolizing romantic love. They hung from the ceilings of ballrooms at parties and celebrations. Unmarried women would line up and stand underneath, and the unmarried men would line up to kiss the ladies! They were called kissing balls. The natural progression soon had “kissing balls” as common decorations at weddings.



hugs Please visit me at Katherines Corner too!
linking to these parties today
 homework

4 comments:

  1. These are adorable Katherine. I am going to pin these to my wedding boards. Thanks for joining me. Please add my link or button. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the history behind it! Learning something new each day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that is so neat! i never heard of any of that before! How great an idea, I think your floral ones are so pretty! what a great idea and story of history.
    Blessings,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, a bit of history. Very nice. It's me, Linda, working through the favorite Things Party...

    ReplyDelete

thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. Hugs from Katherine